Friday, March 1, 2013

OPM

In my opinion the music industry in the Philippines today is abominable. Most of my friends are into K-POP, or if not, they are into american artists.When I watch noontime shows, performers sing popular songs from the west, seldom do they sing Original Pinoy Music. If they do sing OPM, they sing songs that were produced way back. 

What's happening to OPM? 

The answer to my question probably just lies around the corner. Somewhere around YouTube  I clicked YouTube's music section, trying to find something new. On the suggested videos I found these:

Nasa Iyo Ang Lahat by Daniel Padilla






Mr. Kupido by Myrtle Sarrosa




Kahit Na by Toni Gonzaga





After listening to the songs, I actually liked them! I like the beat, the instrumentals, and their voices. The lyrics' meaning are not that deep but I don't mind. It is like, "puppy love" themed in my opinion. Nonetheless, I did enjoy listening to them it is something new. Hearing OPM once again and surprisingly liking them is something that I haven't done in YEARS. Like when I stepped out of high school, Pinoy Bands seemed to have been disbanded.

In terms of music videos, the first one -- I didn't like it. Doesn't show any emotion. The 2nd one, I liked it. Myrtle did well in interpreting the song. Toni's MV, I've seen it. I'm not a fan.

There's this other song by KZ Tandingan entitled "Scared to Death" I was a fan of her voice the first time I heard it. I'm not a person who listen to that kind of music genre, I probably would not listen to it again. However, I watched the video where the songwriter explained how he came up with the song, I gain an understanding and appreciated the feeling of the songwriter. It was perfectly interpreted by KZ in my opinion. The one thing that flunked it was the Music Video. Clearly the songwriter wrote it out of unrequited love but they made a video filled with caskets.

I don't know why they came up with that. I think they are interpreting the song as deep? I wonder if they listened to the songwriter.

The songwriter knows more feelings than Music Video interpreters. I guess they should have collaborated with him to be able to produce a video that will convey emotions together with the song -- not fly into another world with a great background music!

People won't get the meaning! I'm not good at interpreting words myself. I'm more of a visual person. I think explaining songs like this through videos are important.

Wew.
I just have to say that.
HAHAH

Well anyway.
All in all, great singers, great music, so-so videos...
"There's always room for improvement"



No comments:

Post a Comment